Australia and Others Practicing More Flexibly
This Expert series podcast highlights two leaders from Elevate’s flexible legal resourcing business, ElevateFlex. Elevate Director, Paula Forbes, talks with Dan Hogan, an ElevateFlex Engagement Manager, leading our Asia-Pac Initiatives for Australia. Paula and Dan touch on two unique years, trends they are seeing today, and what’s next in legal resourcing.
- [00:47] Extensive lockdowns have marred the Australian market for legal resourcing.
- [02:47] Australia relies on resource movement in and out to refresh the knowledge and experience pool.
- [04:00] Talent in short supply becomes expensive.
- [06:09] Pay a competitive rate, make a decision quickly, condense the number of interviews to one, get the decision-makers on that call.
- [06:53] Talent wants an element of stability – longer contracts.
- [08:01] People are evaluating flexible work and how it works for them.
- [10:31] Work is underway on learning and development for junior lawyers working remotely.
- [12:24] Today’s location-independent jobs provide more opportunity.
- [13:47] The UK and the US legal talent is starting to move away from big law firms with big salaries.
- [15:47] Talent is heading back into the larger law offices, and there is a salary race to entice Talent into roles.
- [18:12] One of the patterns that we started to see over 2021 was the movement of Talent even from permanent opportunities.
- [19:39] There is an increase in opportunities in cybersecurity, and the corporate M&A sector is red hot in Australia and beyond.